How a'murdered' UP woman was discovered alive 7 years later involves a girl, her "murderer," and a guru.

  • Dec. 8, 2022, 12:23 p.m.

Move aside, Father Brown; guruji’s on the case. A girl goes missing, and a young man is jailed for her "murder." But years later, she’s found alive, now married, and with two kids. Who spotted her? a spiritual teacher.

Seven years after her parents told the police that an unidentified body recovered from Etmadpur, Agra, was that of their 15-year-old daughter, the girl—nnow an adult—hhas turned up in Hathras. While the woman is very much alive, the man accused of kidnapping and murdering her in 2015 continues to be behind bars.

It was a spiritual teacher from Vrindavan, the guru of the accused’s mother, who claimed to have spotted the "missing" woman during a katha (recitation) in Tiparas village, Hathras. The guru has alleged that the woman was in touch with her family, who the police say will face an FIR if the DNA samples collected from them match those of the woman.

The case dates back to February 2015, when Pravesh, then a student in Class 10, apparently went missing from a temple where she had gone to offer prayers on Shivratri. At the time, her parents accused their neighbour, Vishnu Gautam, of kidnapping her, allegedly to force her into marriage. Both families were residents of Dhatauli village in Aligarh’s Gonda block.

Vishnu was booked under Sections 363 (punishment for kidnapping) and 366 (kidnapping, abducting a woman to force her to marry someone against her will) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Sections 302 (murder) and 201 (destruction of evidence) were also subsequently invoked against him after Pravesh’s parents identified a body recovered in March 2015 as that of their daughter, an Aligarh police officer told ThePrint.

Arrested by the Tundla police on August 19, 2015, for allegedly helping a history student escape police custody, Vishnu was behind bars until 2020, when he was released on bail. But he was jailed again in October this year in the kidnapping and murder case, in which he is still on trial.

It was only earlier this month that Bhagwatacharya Uday Krishna Shastri, the guru of Vishnu’s mother, spotted Pravesh and alerted her before approaching the UP Police.

According to Shastri, he recognised Pravesh from pictures of her shown to him by his disciple Sunita, Vishnu’s mother, seven years ago. The mother, whose husband died 26 years ago, had sought his help to trace the "missing" girl while also alleging that Vishnu was framed, he said.

He told ThePrint: "Sunita is my disciple and a regular at my ashram in Vrindavan... A few days ago, I had gone to Tiparas village for a Bhagwat Katha (recitation of the Bhagavad Gita), where I saw this woman. She had been attending my recitals for a few days. When I asked other attendees about her, they told me that she had run away from her house and gotten married against her parents’ wishes.

Shastri said that hearing about the woman’s background aroused his suspicion, and he asked his disciples to take pictures of her that he then shared with Sunita, who identified the woman as Pravesh. "She (Sunita) was confident and said their families were from the same village, and she had observed her (Pravesh) since childhood. "I accompanied her to meet the Aligarh SSP (senior superintendent of police), after which the officer ordered an inquiry," he said.

Author : Rajdhani Delhi Representative

Rajdhani delhi representative

Related News